Thursday, February 09, 2006

We Made It!



Whoa. I'm back from Africa and Mount Kilimanjaro after a 7,000 mile, 25 hour flight. Majorly jet-lagged, I fell asleep at 8:00 pm last night and woke up wide eyed at 2:00 am this morning. I'm having a hard time remembering what day it is.

Also, on our last full day in Africa, I got a major case of food poisoning and threw up ten times. Want some free advice? When in Tanzania, don't order the fish.

I'll do a more intensive write-up of our climb this week. The big story: We made it to the top, which is something only 40% of Kili hikers accomplish, although I'd hardly say I did it in style. I was a physically and emotionally shattered man at the summit.

In one of my less-proud moments, I collapsed in a heap and was whining to myself "I wanna go home. I wanna sleep in a big feather bed. I want to be warm. I want to not be filthy." But I would have been damned if I traveled all that way and didn't get a picture of myself beside that sign at the top. As soon as Andy gets the photos developed, I'll post the proof and the big write-up.

Couple photos in the meantime, both taken by Tom Banchy.



Now back to work. It's good to be back...


4 Comments:

At 5:26 PM GMT-5, Blogger CMad said...

Amazing. When you initially told me of this plan, I thought, "That's crazy! But then again... That's Dave." Welcome back and do post more pics.

 
At 12:35 PM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

>Typical Dave. You know Dave, you could have left that part out.<

Ha! Yeah, I considered leaving that part out but went with honesty. The altitude didn't hit me until 17,500 ft and then it hit me all at once like a hammer to the head.

 
At 2:34 AM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:06 AM GMT-5, Anonymous Last minute said...

Amazing. i AM VERY IMPRESSED, SORRY i poor speak English, but I love mountains

 

Post a Comment

<< Home